Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday!

Sorry it's been a couple of Tuesdays. Excuses are lame, so I won't give any. Onto the list!

Today I've decided to do my Top Ten Disney Soundtracks. I saw the documentary, Waking Sleeping Beauty, recently and it was all about the Golden Age of Disney. Howard Ashman, Alan Menkin, Tim Rice, etc. It was truly amazing to watch, especially since I grew up with the best Disney films created. So here's my top ten. I can only describe them so much so I will let the youtube videos speak for themselves.

10. Tarzan (Mark Mancina/Phil Collins)

Most people I know did not like this movie and having it on my list probably bodes poorly for them. But I love Phil Collins and the score was one of the prettiest in my opinion.

Song:


Score:


9. The Jungle Book (George Bruns/Terry Gilkyson, Richard M. Sherman/Robert B. Sherman)

This is probably the non-golden age Disney movie on the list. I don't know if this will upset Disney purists, but oh well. All of the songs on here are just as memorable as those from The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast so it deserves a place in the top ten.

Song:


Score:


8. The Nightmare Before Christmas (Danny Elfman)

I know, I know. "It's not a Disney movie!" you cry in indignation. However, it was distributed by Touchstone Pictures, which is a Disney-owned company so it goes on the list.

Song:


Score:


7. Mulan (Jerry Goldsmith/Matthew Wilder/David Zippel)

Song:


Score:


Not even my too-cool brothers can resist busting out their singing chops to I'll Make A Man Out Of You!

6. Aladdin (Alan Menken/Howard Ashman/Tim Rice)

Song:


Score:


Who can beat songs like Friend Like Me or Prince Ali? I know I can't!

5. The Little Mermaid (Alan Menken/Howard Ashman)

This is my favorite Disney movie of all time. The music is fun and makes me feel like I'm in the Caribbean or literally under the sea.

Song:


Score:


4. Beauty and the Beast (Alan Menken/Howard Ashman)

Most people I know say that this is their favorite Disney movie, or at least the best one ever made. For me it comes to a VERY narrow second place next to the Little Mermaid. The music for this film is iconic and come on - it's the only Disney animated movie ever to get nominated for Best Picture.

Song:


Score:


3. The Lion King (Tim Rice/Elton John/Hans Zimmer)

Most people I know rank this as their favorite.

Song:


Score:


2. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Alan Menken/Stephen Schwartz)

I think this movie is highly underrated. It was dark, disturbing, and heartbreaking. When my 10 year-old self saw it in the theater, it left a horrible twisty feeling in my stomach for days. Not even Disney could Disneyfy this tale and the epic music with medieval-esque scores sweeping and out only add to the film.

Song:


Score:


1. Pocahontas (Alan Menken/Stephen Schwartz)

While this is not the best Disney movie, I'll alway maintain that the music written for this movie was beyond the best for any other Disney film.

Song:


Score:

No comments:

Post a Comment